Repair and maintenance tips
At Diamond Fernand Réfrigération Inc. in Montreal, our team services and repairs refrigerators, freezers, flake ice machine, and ice machines. Here are some tips for the maintening your machines.
Did you know?
More than 6 mm of ice accumulated in your freezer can increase your device's electricity consumption of by 30%, which is why you should clean it regularly.
As soon as the ice layer reaches 2 mm, it's time to defrost your freezer. How to proceed:
- Disconnect your device
- Empty its contents and leave the door open
- Using a scraper, scrape the ice, then wash the tank with a mixture of hot water and soda crystals
- Rinse and dry
- Reconnect the machine
Cleaning your freezer
Cleaning the exterior of the freezer
- Use a sponge and a soft cleaning product, rinse and wipe
- At least once a year, clean the grid which is behind the freezer by removing the dust with the vacuum cleaner (avoid the device to overconsume)
Cleaning the inside of the freezer
- After having defrosted the freezer, you can clean the inside walls with hot water (1 litre) mixed with baking soda (2 tablespoons)
- Rinse and dry
- Clean the removable parts with the same mixture
Please note that it is not recommended to use steel wool, a brush, or abrasive products. It is also not recommended to place removable parts in the dishwasher.
To eliminate odours, you can also use a mixture of water and lemon juice to clean the freezer's walls.
How to check if the seals still work?
- Close the freezer door on a sheet of paper and try to remove the sheet
- If it comes out easily, this means that the seals aren't as effective
If the compressor does not seem to be working correctly
Remove any dust with a vacuum cleaner. This might solve the problem without you having to call a repairperson.